Muy macho hombre de Singapore: Working on the night moves Fernando Alonso claims an unexpected but well deserved win in the inaugural Singtel Singapore Grand Prix, the first Formula 1 world championship event to be staged after sunset. The beleaguered two time world champion and the so far win less Renault team were humming with pride and excitement as the Spaniard came from 15th. on the grid to score his 20th. Grand Prix win and 50th. podium finish of his career.
Good times were also ringing for Nico Rosberg as he scored his career best finish in second place for the AT&T Williams-Toyota team. Lewis Hamilton, in his Vodaphone McLaren-Mercedes, had a call waiting to extend his championship lead to seven points by finishing third. A disconnect of the fuel rig during a pit stop ended pole-sitter and championship challenger Felipe Massa’s chances of victory and he failed to finish in the points. Misery loves company as his much heralded and defending world champion teammate Kimi Raikkonen crashed out late in the race.
Night action now moves to the land of the rising sun in two weeks where Lewis Hamilton drowned the competition in torrential downpour last year in the first race on the revised Toyota-owned Mt. Fuji circuit.
BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO Fantastico!
Fernando Alonso wins the Singapore GP.
Nico driving the Williams to second spot.
Hamilton continues to lead up to 84 points with P3.
The Singapore Grand Prix
61 laps; 309.087km;
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Alonso Renault (B) 1h57:16.304
2. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) + 2.957
3. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) + 5.917
4. Glock Toyota (B) + 8.155
5. Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) + 10.268
6. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) + 11.101
7. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) + 16.387
8. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) + 18.489
9. Button Honda (B) + 19.885
10. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) + 26.902
11. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) + 27.975
12. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) + 29.432
13. Massa Ferrari (B) + 35.170
14. Fisichella Force India-Ferrari (B) + 43.571
15. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) + 4 laps
Fastest lap: Raikkonen, 1:45.599
Driver Team On lap
Trulli Toyota (B) 51
Sutil Force India-Ferrari (B) 50
Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 30
Barrichello Honda (B) 15
Piquet Renault (B) 14