In 2008, Peugeot expanded their 908 program to include the 12 Hours of Sebring. Although the sole 908 led early, mechanical problems dropped the car from contention. However, the 908 completed the event, serving in preparation for a return to Le Mans. Back in the Le Mans Series, the two team 908s now had to face newcomer Audi, as they too entered two R10 diesels. The 908 however opened the season with a victory in Catalunya, marking the first time a 908 has beaten an R10. For Le Mans three 908s were entered and the team started on pole position as they had in 2007. However during a rain-soaked night at the race the Audi R10 was able to take the lead and go on to win their seventh Le Mans. Peugeots finished second, third, and fifth.
Peugeot finished their season at the 1000 km of Silverstone, but their streak of LMS race wins ended after two accidents involving both cars. The accidents not only allowed the Audis to win the race, but also allowed Audi to secure the Drivers, Teams, and Constructors Championships, titles Peugeot had led all season.
After their loss in the LMS, Peugeot announced their intent to bring two of their 908s to North America to compete in the American Le Mans Series Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. Drivers Christian Klien and Alexander Wurz would have rejoined the squad to face Audi’s North American R10s.However, because of accident damage to the 908s at Silverstone, Peugeot later opted to bring only one car. The sole 908 qualified in pole position and led several times over the race, but finished only 4.5 seconds behind the North American Audi team.
The Peugeot Sport line-up for 2009 features 9 drivers, with the team’s confidence going to the drivers who have made such a satisfactory contribution to the first two years of its current endurance programme:
– Sébastien Bourdais (France), 30.
– David Brabham (Australia), 43.
– Marc Gené (Spain), 35.
– Christian Klien (Austria), 26.
– Pedro Lamy (Portugal), 37.
– Nicolas Minassian (France), 36.
– Franck Montagny (France), 31.
– Stéphane Sarrazin (France), 33.
– Alexander Wurz (Austria), 35.
Peugeot confirm their 2009 entry for the 12 hours of Sebring.
Renault get financial help fron the French goverment
Renault, Toro Rosso, Williams and McLaren start testing at Jerez.
Ralf Schumacher gets a new Mercedes-Benz 2009 C-class in the DTM.
Jerez F1 test times – day one: 10 February
1. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1min 19.660secs 104 laps
2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1min 22.177secs 61 laps
3. Nico Hulkenberg Williams-Toyota 1min 22.443secs 82 laps
4. Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 1min 22.634secs 60 laps
5. Nelson Piquet Jr. Renault-Renault 1min 23.313secs 35 laps