Photo: GT3cup media
Abdulaziz cruises to Porsche GT3 Cup victory
Dubai.Saudi Arabia’s Prince Abdulaziz Al Faisal scored a commanding victory in Round 2 of the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Middle East at Dubai Autodrome today to take the lead in the one-make series.
After claiming pole position by setting the fastest time in the morning qualifying session, Prince Anbdulaziz led from start to finish and eventually won by almost ten seconds from fellow-Saudi Bandar Alesayi.
Making his debut in the Porsche GT3 Cup series this season, Oman’s Ahmad Al Harthy grabbed the other podium position after Belgian driver Stephane Lemeret collected a time penalty for an infringement at the start, dropping him from second to fourth place.
Another Saudi driver, Saeed Al Mouri, and Austrian Andreas Mayerl, completed the top six. Just as he did in the first round, Qatar’s Saadon Al Kuwari won the Mobil 1 Trophy for drivers over the age of 45 after finishing eighth overall.
The Porsche GT3 Cup series now moves on to the UAE capital next weekend for Rounds 3-4 which are part of the official race support programme for the 2011 Formula 1TM Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at Yas Marina Circuit.
Round 2 results
1. Abdulaziz Al Faisal (KSA) Saudi Falcons 23:45.228
2. Bandar Alesayi (KSA) Alesayi Racing 23:55.217
3. Ahmad Al Harthy (OM) Oman Air Racing 23:55.475
4. Stephane Lemeret (UAE) Al Nabooda Racing 24:04.072
5. Saeed Al Mouri KSA) Saudi Falcons 24:05.159
6. Andreas Mayerl (AUT) 24:05.311
7. Mark Thomas (CAN) 24:22.230
8. Saadon Al Kuwari (QA) 24:35.177
9. Hannes Waimer (GER) 24:49.007
10. Fawaz Algosaibi (KSA) ClassicArabia Racing 24:49.257