This is a special Interview podcast, Nasir Hameed has a conversation with former F1 mechanic Marc Priestley –
Marc Priestley was a mechanic with McLaren for nine years, he and many like him are the unsung heroes of Formula 1 – one of the guys who we seldom see on TV but also one of the guys crucial to any world championship campaign and as such, one of the guys that sees things we don’t ordinarily see.
Marc made his way to the summit of the sport through a long and arduous route from the ‘minor leagues’ to one of the most successful teams in the history of the sport – enjoying great triumphs and hard times along the way. We are fortunate to have him reminisce about his days with the Woking team.
But before we move on here is a brief overview of his impressive motorsport credentials:
- 1995 left Kent College with BTEC National Diploma – Motor Vehicle Engineering
- 1995-1996 Tangent Motorsport mechanic
- 1996-1997 Ratrace Motorsport mechanic
- 1997-1999 Chas Berger Motorsport mechanic
- 1999-2000 Speedsport Formula 3 Number 1 mechanic & Orbit Motorsport Formula 3000 senior mechanic
- 2000-2001 McLaren test team Number 2 mechanic
- 2001-2006 McLaren race team Number 2 mechanic
- 2007 McLaren race team Number 1 mechanic
- 2008 McLaren race team chief mechanic
- 2009 McLaren Project leader and Co-ordinator
- 2009 Joined Motor Sport Vision as Race Team Co-ordinator & Team Manager
- 2010 until now freelancing in various roles including consultancy, public speaking and occasional GP2 mechanic