HAMILTON ON TOP!
MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS concluded the first in-season test of 2014 at the Bahrain International Circuit today, with Lewis Hamilton taking the wheel of the F1 W05 for the second of two days’ running in Sakhir this week. Lewis’ best time of 1:34.136 from 120 laps put him first on the time sheets.
– Today’s programme focused on tyres, with the team conducting a range of tests on behalf of Pirelli in line with the 2014 Formula One Sporting Regulations
– A successful session saw the team complete the requested tyre evaluation programme
– Lewis emerged for his first run at 09:00 local time, completing 50 laps in the morning
– A further 70 laps followed in the afternoon, running right up to the chequered flag at 17:30
– Mercedes-Benz Power Units today completed a total of 1,472 km between all teams
The team now returns to Brackley and Brixworth to prepare for the Chinese Grand Prix next weekend.
It’s been a long day, running lap after lap to analyse the tyres but driving a Formula One car is never boring. Of course, the nature of a tyre test means we haven’t learnt anything in particular in terms of improving the car but it’s useful for Pirelli and therefore useful to us in the long term. They just gave me different sets and I told them how each felt. The plan was just to get in as many laps as we could. The times mean nothing as everyone had their own programmes to run. It’s been a fantastic few weeks for the team but also a long stint away, so I’m sure everyone is looking forward to heading back home for a well-deserved rest. Of course, it’s a short turnaround before China so I’ll be in the factory to work on ways we can improve.