Hamilton Drowns The Competition: In tricky wet conditions at Silverstone, Lewis Hamilton in his McLaren put on a masterful performnace to score his third win of the season in Sunday’s British Grand Prix. So dominant was his performance only the podium finishers were able to complete the race distance. Nick Heidfeld was second for BMW and Rubens Barrichello was third for Honda, his first podium finish since the 2005 six-car US Grand Prix.
Championship leader before the British Grand Prix Felipe Massa had a weekend to forget, spinning five times and failing to finish in the points. His world champion teammate Kimi Raikkonen paid the price of not taking on fresh rubber at his first pit stop. He was able to salvage some useful points by finishing fourth ahead of fellow Finn and pole sitter Heikke Kovalainen, who led briefly and late in the race passed Fernando Alonso’s Renault to finish fifth.
Championship battle is now a three way tie: Hamilton, Massa and Raikkonen are on 48 points each. Kubica is only two points behind on 46. Next race is the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim on July 20th.
Podcast # 290
Fantastic British GP win for Lewis Hamilton!!
Quick Nick with a well deserved second!
And Rubens Barrichello with a great third place.
The British Grand Prix
60 laps; 308.355km;
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1h39:09.440
2. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) + 1:08.500
3. Barrichello Honda (B) + 1:22.200
4. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) + 1 lap
5. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) + 1 lap
6. Alonso Renault (B) + 1 lap
7. Trulli Toyota (B) + 1 lap
8. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) + 1 lap
9. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) + 1 lap
10. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) + 1 lap
11. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) + 1 lap
12. Glock Toyota (B) + 1 lap
13. Massa Ferrari (B) + 2 laps
Fastest lap: Raikkonen, 1:32.150