Photo: ontorejo collection
Podcast number 457 with Desiree
Motorsports Mondial special interview:…
GP3’s first drivers championship winner Esteban Gutierrez.
Fernando Alonso thrills the tifosi with his victory at Monza.
Alonso stays out one lap longer to squeeze out the lead.
“I think this result gives you some extra confidence and good motivation for the whole team, we’ll keep working hard and try not to give up – one race or bad race can change the points a lot in the championship.
This was a good weekend, Spa was a bad weekend – we need to find consistency in the last five races. That will be the key – this result is good motivation for all of us, but in the remaining five races it is really the important races and the good points.
So we need to enjoy tonight, enjoy these next two days and we’ll be in Maranello Monday and Tuesday to say thanks for the whole team, and championship-wise there is time to think later on.”
Jenson Button extremely happy with second place.
“We had a good weekend and to come away with second is a great result, now 22 points behind Webber in the standings. We wanted some points, for all three of us here, and we have done well for our championship hopes heading out of Europe.
I don’t think we quite had the pace today compared to Ferrari, but it was all going pretty well, I was pretty happy with the car. And then we decided to pit one lap earlier than Fernando.
When I exited the pits, I had very little grip on the prime tyre. Lots of shuddering, which means the tyre just isn’t working. So a little bit disappointing to find myself in that position and then see Fernando coming out of the pits in front.
But we had a great weekend and to come away with a second is a good result. Obviously you want the top step, but some good points and I think for both of us we’ve done very well for our championship hopes and it’s good heading out of Europe with a good points finish.”
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Alonso Ferrari 1h16:24.572
2. Button McLaren-Mercedes + 2.938
3. Massa Ferrari + 4.223
4. Vettel Red Bull-Renault + 28.193
5. Rosberg Mercedes + 29.942
6. Webber Red Bull-Renault + 31.276
7. Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth + 32.812
8. Kubica Renault + 34.028
9. Schumacher Mercedes + 44.948
10. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth + 1:04.213
11. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1:05.056
12. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes + 1:06.106
13. Petrov Renault + 1:18.919
14. De la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari + 1 lap
15. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1 lap
16. Sutil Force India-Mercedes + 1 lap
17. Glock Virgin-Cosworth + 2 laps
18. Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth + 2 laps
19. Di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth + 2 laps
20. Yamamoto HRT-Cosworth + 2 laps
Fastest lap: Alonso, 1:24.139